Monday, February 12, 2007


As I begin to ponder the totality of my college education, both at Lakeland Community College in Ohio as well as my time here at Regent, I realize that quite surely I will miss the experience and growth formal education facilitates. Some of the courses I have taken still replay in my mind, while others seemed to have fall through the cracks in my subconscious. Likewise, some of the teachers and professors that have given their time and talent will remain with me forever.

Reflecting upon some of those memorable courses and even more memorable instructors, I have begun to realize that much of education (particularly the first two years in liberal arts education) are as much about developing discipline as they are about learning the information, perhaps even more. Those classes are designed to introduce new ways of thinking, new skills, and new disciplines to (hopefully) eager minds.

Interestingly, six years ago I was at a time in my life when I knew I needed more discipline. I was in the midst of deciding between two life-changing paths: 1) go to college, or 2) join the military (U.S. Air Force). After much deliberation, I decided to forgo the military, and I began my post-secondary education at a community college in August 2001. While the military would have instilled in me a sense of discipline, I believe that I was called into education. Finally, through the rigors of approximately 200 credit hours, I have a small glimpse, dare I say a working conception, of what place discipline has in my life—and perhaps yours.

When many people think of discipline, negative connotations often come to mind. I used to think of strict schedules grounded in rigidity just for the sake of doing so. However, in recent times, my thoughts of discipline have changed.

In 1 Corinthians 9:25, Paul told us that “Everyone who competes in the race goes into strict training” (NIV). Discipline is the key to run the race so that you can finish well, and to run with purpose and direction. Paul admonished us to beat our bodies in order to make them our slaves, so that after we work for others, there is still energy left to live well. In this same sense, through disciplined study encountered in education we make our minds our slaves, so that we can use it to do God’s work, serve others, and live well.

Self-discipline is not some mystical-magical thing that only few people can possess; it is God-given to each one of us (2 Timothy 1:7). Unlike Esau, who succumbed to immediate gratification and threw away his inheritance, we must keep our eyes focused on our eternal prize—on our Father. Our enemy would have us be lazy and not do good works; thus, self-discipline is the battle against sin (Genesis 4:6-7), but we can look to the Lord for deliverance (Philippians 4:13). In the end, “Diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in slave labor” (Proverbs 12:24).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


web page counter
Get your Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com
Powered by Blogger